Friday, July 3, 2009

Getting back in the saddle

Ok it has been quite a while since my last post. Don't know why really.........other things going on perhaps?

My spinning wheel...........LOVE IT! Love spinning on it and have spun several skeins of yarn already! Today I purchased a book called SOCKS FROM THE TOE UP by Wendy Knits. My usual mode of sock knitting is from the cuff down, two circs and two socks at the same time. Since this whole spinning thing started I want to knit toe up as to not either run out of my hand spun or to be able to use it all up.

I know I know, photos of all that hand spun. Now these are all spun on the new wheel which happens to be that very wheel that I posted a photo of a while back. Louet Victoria. LOVE IT!


Any how the photos are here and I am happy to show them off. Now that I have finally posted the pictures.............sheesh! First photo is of the single samples that people from the Spinning Loft tested wheels with my bobbins. At the time they were not yet mine, so when they became mine I got their spun stuff! I then double plied them together just to get a feel for the wheel and so as to not waste any time by just treadling and not spinning anything. It make sense to me. Also there in the first photo on the left is some of that mystery wool that I practiced with while spinning with spindles. So I took another 'spin' and plied them together while tossing in some left over threads from embroidery machine and sewing. Cute huh? Might look good woven on a loom?

In the second photo I spun up the rest of the hand dyed by me with Easter egg colors the last of the mystery wool. The end result is a worsted weight yarn. Have no idea what to make from it.

The last photo is the fiber I received in a swap from the Ravelry group The High Fiber Diet podcast group swap. I received from my swap partner approx 5 oz .of Shirazz Merino Rambouillet and silk batt. It is a true sock weight and I ended up with a finished 4.5 oz and 475 yards double plied. This was a pleasure to spin! So soft and I think that it might become a somewhat lacy scarf..........it feels just soooo good on my neck!

I have also been on a small fiber spree! Yeah like I don't have enough yarn to knit with now I have to spin my own that I will possibly never knit up because then I can't fondle it any more. Actually I do have three of the handspuns that I have plans to knit up.
I have also found that I have to better document or record my progress and also fiber cost etc. you know just in case someone sees one of these they can't live without and wants to purchase it just because I spun it myself and it is just too beautiful to pass by! I better hurry up and knit up what I want before anyone sees these beauties!

Other news? Grand kids are growing like weeds! OHMYGOSH! The twins are now crawling like the wind and pulling themselves up and standing! Abygail is off to summer 1/2 day camp next week (thanks to gramma here). She will be going 1/2 days for one week. To break her in, give her a goal to reach for for next summer when she could go for a full day , full week of summer camp! I am confident that she will love it. Next we have the 3 year old Madison who if finally potty trained and can now come and stay at grammas to play and maybe over night too. She is a doll and her baby sister Reese just started crawling too! She is on the move to keep up with her twin cousins who are going to be ONE this month! Reese is only 8 months tomorrow and zipping around all over! All the babies are getting teeth too! So you never know who or when any of them will be teething and crabby or have running noses and just not happy.
I should probably stop now..........if I get too long winded about virtually nothing boredom will surely set in.

So I am quitting today and hope to get back in at least the weekly swing of updates on my blog. Oh I got an iphone (new one) and its the BOMB. I might be posting from it soon too. ;)

No comments: