Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My first fleece washing experience

Purchased this 1 pound bag of fleece from Peace Fleece and it's called Chinny's challenge. Chinniny is one of their sheep and I have her full breed description at home.
Here it is after I got a few of the locks out of the bag...........ewe dirty and with many bits of vegetable matter or VM
Here I am washing the fleece, yes in the kitchen sink! I have a layer of tulle down with the fleece spread out on it. Makes it very easy to just pick up the tulle, squeeze out access water and then wash again. I used dawn dish soap.
After rinsing and then squeezing, I put the bundle in a towell and stepped on it to get out all of the extra water then I put it on an old window screen propped with a fan blowing up from the bottom to dry.
Here is the dried fleece and I am fluffing and picking the locks apart to get out more of the VM to ready for hand carding.
Here are some of the hand carded rollags that I did myself for the first time!
And this is what it all looks like while being spun up on my little Victoria spinning wheel. It is very white and clean and soft and I can't wait to work with more of it! I spun through all I had prepped and need to wash again...........

1 comment:

knitwych said...

That is so cool. Now you need to start raising sheep.

Just sayin'.